• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NBC Prepping Bravo HD Net

Started by Gregg Lengling, Monday Jan 13, 2003, 02:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Linda Moss
Multichannel News
1/13/2003 9:00:00 AM
   Looking to demonstrate its commitment to expand and improve Bravo, NBC plans to launch a stand-alone high-definition version of the cable network within the next six months, according to officials.

"We really feel we need to have a place at the table in HD," NBC Cable president David Zaslav said last week. "And Bravo HD presents a real unique opportunity for us to participate with a separate cable channel. This is central to our core strategy to extend the reach and reinforce the fact that we're really committed to Bravo."

NBC officials are considering calling the HD network "Bravo Plus" or "Bravo Plus HD," according to Zaslav. That's because the HD channel will not only include a simulcast of Bravo programming converted to HD, but also special content, some of it potentially provided by NBC and some created only for Bravo HD.

Developing an HD version of Bravo -- a pricey proposition -- marks NBC's first major strategic move for its cable-network acquisition. The "Peacock Network" -- in part looking for a cable outlet for some of its entertainment programming -- acquired Bravo from Cablevision Systems Corp. last year for $1.25 billion.

Zaslav would not spell out the size of the "substantial investment" NBC would have to make for the HD version of Bravo, but he claimed that NBC "is ready to spend some real dollars to make it a quality service."

As for Bravo HD's potential rate card, NBC Cable is ready to sit down with cable operators and develop a viable business model for the fledgling business.

"There are some distributors that want to charge a lot for HD and offer it in a package," Zaslav said. "There are a number we've spoken to who say, 'We'll offer everybody [HD networks] a la carte at a higher rate.' There are some that say they want to do it for free."

He added that he's not opposed to operators offering Bravo HD "independently," or a la carte, for "a higher price," because those with HDTV sets today are "pretty willing to spend almost anything to get as much HD" content as possible.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

RobbQ

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregg Lengling
He added that he's not opposed to operators offering Bravo HD "independently," or a la carte, for "a higher price," because those with HDTV sets today are "pretty willing to spend almost anything to get as much HD" content as possible.

I think that it is wonderful to see "cable" channels with plans to go HD and I understand that they have to make up for the cost but this statement scares me a little.  I am a little afraid of being expected to pay $8 a month for every HD channel that I want (with heavy repeats).  So is anyone "willing to spend almost anything" for more HD content?