News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Tivo HD DVRs

Started by borghe, Thursday Jan 09, 2003, 02:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borghe

I simply couldn't wait until it was posted in the news section to discuss it!!!! Press releases from ES today.

DirecTV HD DVR

Tivo HDTV DVR

The first one in particular has my speechless. The thing that caps it for me though is the announcement in the second one is that it will record HD signals either from satellite or ATSC over-the-air broadcast. My home theater will now be complete. :) Never again will I have to rearrange my schedule to watch HD programming. WOOHOO!!!

Tom Snyder

No mention of price... any guesses?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

borghe

umm.. probably in the vacinity of an HD STB ($500) + DVR ($300), so... $800 minimum but probably closer to $999. :( That's what Dish's PVR921 (same thing only not Tivoed) is retailing for.

AndrewP

DishPVR 921 was named as the best product at the show.

Andrew

borghe

That's because Tivo/DirecTV didn't have any "product" on display. ;)

I have looked into Dish solely because of PVR921, and all of my research shows that season passes and wishlists are either nowhere near as good as Tivo or non-existent. Because I depend so heavily on both of those I have to stick with Tivo until someone releases something at least as good.

Steve Mann

This is GREAT news. I had a feeling it was just around the corner... I guess I'll throw the 120 gig drive I just added to my SD Tivo in my new HD TiVo. When I can get my new HD TiVo that is.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Tom Snyder

The announcement was right around the corner... the product is still months away.  

The good news is that I already have permission from the spousal unit to get one when they come out...her exact words:  "Very Cool!":D
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Steve Mann

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Snyder
The good news is that I already have permission from the spousal unit to get one when they come out...her exact words:  "Very Cool!":D

Mine said, 'But what about the hard drive we just put in our other one?'

I told her it would likely fit in the new one.

And I did realize that the product is months away. The article says 'by years end', I believe. I was just trying to overlook that small setback.  :D
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

kjnorman

And for those who want to record HD cable....

Part of a Zenith press release

QuoteHD-PVR330 HDTV Receiver/Personal Video Recorder with the new TV GuideĀ® on-screen interactive program guide, is a versatile next-generation HDTV-PVR designed to provide an enhanced viewing/recording experience. It is equipped with a high-gain ATSC tuner for HDTV terrestrial reception and a QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) tuner for unscrambled HDTV cable reception, as well as an NTSC tuner for standard-definition analog reception. A generous 80-gigabyte hard disc drive allows viewers to record and play back more than eight hours of HDTV programming while taking full advantage of the advanced, intuitive on-screen navigation system and program listings service from TV Guide. The service instantly delivers seven days of listings of all shows, with a new service that "tags" favorite shows for easier surfing -- plus news, sports and weather information -- all at the push of a button. Additional features include Dolby Digital recording, a video browser using thumbnail images, live pause, drag and play, smart skip, a 300X fast-forward speed, and a jack package with DVI + HDCP (Digital Visual Interface with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), RGB, Component, S-Video, and A/V outputs for super connectivity. The HD-PVR330 is expected to be available in the third quarter at a suggested price to be announced.

Personally, I'll still want the HD DirectTivo, but it looks like I'll have to wait until Q4 2004.  Sooo Loooongggg....:(